04 February 2009

hall table

here is my first ever refinishing project. i am so happy with how it turned out! it is robin's egg blue and very bright. i am going to use it as a hall table in our entry way.

this was a desk that my dad built about 45 years ago. it was one of his first ever woodworking projects. that is why this means so much to me! i have always loved this desk but it needed a little face-lift.

  • i bought a quart of paint which cost $10 - actually free with a left over giftcard to Lowe's from our wedding 2 1/2 years ago :) score!
  • i sanded (well, actually, my husband sanded) down the desk and then primed it with one coat of primer
  • i filled in the two holes with putty where i removed the original hardware
  • i put two coats of paint on
  • i lightly sanded the edges to give it a more vintage feel
  • attached a new piece of hardware that cost me just over $1 at Home Depot (i might get one at anthropologie eventually...they have really beautiful drawer pulls)
so...this project basically cost me next to nothing AND it has tons of meaning!

i decoupaged the inside of the drawer with SUPER cute paper - but, i can't get it open now! it is seriously stuck. i think the paint made it a tighter fit. it never opened very well anyway. but, i will try to get it open and when i do, i'll take a picture of the inside of the drawer because it's one of my favorite parts of this project.

my husband worked hard and got the drawer out so i could take a picture of the inside. cute huh! well, i think it is at least. you can see where the drill wore down some of the paper, oh well...it doesn't bother me so i'm not going to touch it up - the drawer doesn't work anyway. we sanded the paint down on the sides but it's still not a great fit so that drawer will just not be used. but - at least I know it's cute inside!

next up: the baby crib.
ohh. too much work. can you tell i'm having a hard time finishing it? it is taking so much motivation to finish because it's plain old annoying.

5 comments:

kristen said...

see what projects you can actually do living in a nice climate!? cute kami. if i tried something like that, we'd all die of affixiation (sp?). and yes i especially hate cinnamon on toast. ;)

Leah said...

that looks great! You have such great taste Kami!

Nicole said...

K. My favorite is the drawer! It looks amazing Kami, great job!

Ashley C said...

so so cute - I love it!

Singer 9858 said...

Great job! you can come up with a gift that is thoughtful and unique. I am also doing some woodworking project this could be a good help.